Saturday, September 08, 2007

Prostitutes removed from Bucharest streets

Profile Jewels @ profilejewels.net

Bucharest policemen have taken action to remove prostitutes from streets this autumn. The action is now in progress because most sanctions have proved inefficient. Christian Ciocan, a spokesman for Bucharest Police, explains that since the beginning of 2007 until now 2,666 prostitutes were fined and the state budget is to cash over 6 million RON.
Mediafax Agency informs there are 289 criminal cases on prostitution and another 289 against pimps. The spokesman explains: "Given the inefficiency of fines and sometimes of criminal cases, an action to fight such kind of crimes will be taken in Bucharest in September 1 - November 31, 2007".
The Police official says this is meant to drive prostitutes away from the streets of the city. He mentions that last year only about 30% of the prostitutes fined paid the fines. He comments: "These girls have actually got nothing: no properties and belongings. Their address is in fact in a different locality. Even if the fines reach these places, they aren't paid".
Dialogue with journalists
Bucharest Police took such action together on Thursday night and the prostitutes caught red-handed could talk to the journalists accompanying the policemen. The employees of Police Station 8 in Bucharest picked up 7 such prostitutes, after having caught 2 of them red-handed.
First they wouldn't talk to the press, but then some of them spoke up. A woman in her late twenties told us serenely: "I have 3 children, the oldest one is 8. I took up prostitution two years ago because I couldn't afford to buy them food, but I have got to like it". She told the police would catch her weekly and lately every day and she told she had a lot of fines to pay. "I go back anyway and they can pick me up again", she said.
Adriana is a 29-year-old go-between. She explained: "I have 6 or 7 girls to see to. I stop clients on the street, I tell them the prices and I get 10% for myself. I must earn a living somehow. I have a 4-year-old child to take care of". She added it was the only "job" she could manage to have.
Flori is 29 and her experience in the field is 3 years. She told journalists: "I have got a lot of fines to pay. I had a criminal case for prostitution and the court fined me. That fine is the only one I paid". She just added she hated her way or making a living. (...)

Adrian Ghiciusca
Ziua Sambata 8 Septembrie 2007 http://www.ziua.net/english

No comments: