Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Labor minister investigated for bribe

Yesterday the DNA (National Anti-Corruption Department) asked Presidency for consent to the opening of criminal inquiry against Paul Pacuraru, Romania's labor minister, for bribe accusations.
The minister told the ZIUA journalists that he had no idea why prosecutors were asking for consent to the opening of criminal investigations against him. He said he didn't know what case it was about, adding that he would go to the DNA this morning to ask the head to show him the case. The minister claimed he had received no official announcement about anti-corruption prosecutors' case against him, adding it was in the newspapers that he read about the DNA head Daniel Morar asking Presidency to consent to the inquiry.
Minister Pacuraru denied the accusation that he had been bribed and he expressed his regret that, instead of handling more serious matters, he had to see to "a bad taste show with made up accusations". He commented: "I deny that ever in my life have I asked for something in exchange to favors. I deny that I have ever got or touched some money".
The Romanian minister claimed it was a political scandal meant to defame the government in power. He commented: "I will want to see if the DNA is somehow responsible. I have no doubt this is about different interests. I want to know who will take the responsibility for it if these accusations are proved not true".
He also argued that he should have been informed about it and he mentioned he would address the DNA today: "It is my right to learn what this is about. When they produce some recording, some demand I expressed or some person to prove I asked for something, I will resign and I don't need the President's consent".
The minister added the government he was a member of didn't and wouldn't have a corruption problem: "Anything can be made up. What matters is that they are inducing the idea that the government has got a corruption problem. This government will carry out mandate with clean hands".

A.G.
Ziua Marti 25 Septembrie 2007 http://www.ziua.net/english

No comments: