Friday, August 03, 2007

Patriarch's doctor: He had urinary infection, there should have been no surgery

The Patriarch Teoctist would have survived, claimed his personal doctor, the man who had taken care of the Church official for two decades. Nicolae Ursea is a Ph.D. in medical sciences a GP and an expert in nephrology. He claims the doctor heading the team who performed the surgery on the Patriarch Teoctist had lied to him about the latter's state of health, at times when it was more than critical.
Professor Ursea takes distance from his colleague's opinions and he explains he wouldn't have recommended the surgery performed last Monday, because the Patriarch was suffering from a urinary infection to be treated by antibiotics rather than by surgery.
One more clue showing the Patriarch didn't know the surgery stood 50% chances to succeed is that he didn't proceed to confession and communion, which is unimaginable in the case of a monk aged 92. ZIUA demands the Prosecutor's Office should open official inquiry.
N.U.: I took care of him. I was his personal doctor for 21 years... Medically speaking, there were two things: 1. Not to touch him without talking to his personal doctor. They should have called me and brought me next to him from wherever I was. 2. He wasn't anybody, there should have been consultations among experts. He was suffering from urinary infection and this is why he was urinating often... They should have treated the infection, waited for a few days and then... Three weeks ago he had an episode of the kind too. I treated the infection and the frequent urinating faded... But then it came back... They should have treated it again and waited... If he needed to be operated here, we would have proceeded to the medical tests and so on...
Rep.: Did he need to be balanced and were they to bring the blood pressure back to normal ?
N.U.: Of course. What should I say? (...) I phoned Sinescu and I asked him last Monday: "I hear you did the surgery, sir". He answered: "No, I didn't". But the surgery had been performed and he was dead.
Rep.: What time was this ?
N.U.: It was 12:30. "No, I didn't do the surgery". And then I said: "Please call me when you do". He answered: "Yes, I will let you know when I do it".
Rep.: Well, this is something very serious... They kept you away from him deliberately...
N.U.: Yes, they did... (...)
Rep.: How could he ?
N.U.: He could. He dared lied to me, he dared not call me and so on. This is unacceptable. In deontological terms, one may not perform a surgery on someone when he has got a personal doctor. He was a personality, not just anyone... I kept his heart and brain all right for 21 years.
Rep.: And, thanks God, he was perfectly well...
N.U.: He was perfectly well. I took care of him appropriately and I draw a treatment scheme and he used to come... We had become friends, you know...
Rep.: Had there been no infection...
N.U.: They shouldn't have performed the surgery for a urinary infection. (...)
Rep.: We hear he would spit blood. Do you think complications might have emerged, by any chance ?
N.U.: Yes, probably.
Rep.: They didn't do the basic tests, the X-raying....
N.U.: He says they did the basic ones. That's what he says...
Rep.: I asked at the hospital about it: they would have had no time for the X-rays, because the X-ray women starts work at 9.
N.U.: He had all the medical tests done three weeks ago in the Carol Davila hospital. I had them all done. He had an infection, I proceeded to treatment, I fixed it and everything was all right. The infection came back. He needed an anti-infection treatment and then they should have talked about surgery.
Rep.: Why were they in such a hurry ?
N.U.: I don't know why they were in such a hurry. Why ? They lied to me on the phone, saying there was no surgery... Such an exceptionally valuable man, God's true envoy on Earth. So kind, so gentle, such a noble soul...
Rep.: Therefore we can say he would have survived...
N.U.: Yes, he would have survived... Without calling his personal doctor ? This is unacceptable. It is elementary. They should have called me to talk about it and I wouldn't have recommended the surgery.

Victor Roncea & Lidia Popescu
Ziua Vineri 03 Iulie 2007 http://www.ziua.net/english

No comments: